The T9 NSK service project for transgender people was launched in January, 2015. However, special events held by the Transgenders.Novosibirsk project on trans* topics (watching films, psychological counseling and social support, informational seminars on gender identity, etc) have been conducted within the scope of the PULSAR-Novosibirsk LGBT project since 2009.
The situation in Russian society provokes a high level of transphobia (eg “law about propaganda”), as well as the closed of the transgender community and the lack of support for its members. Long-term goal is to create a network of transgender initiative groups in different regions of Russia.
Our mission: zero discrimination of transgender people.
Our vision: development in Siberia and the Russia strong, friendly, responsible and open transgender community with a strong identity, and mutual assistance and active citizenship in a friendly world without discrimination.
Directions of our work:
- Advocacy work (promotion of the rights of the trans community at different levels)
- Community support (psychological assistance and support groups)
- Developing the capacity of the trans community (events and advice on trans-activism, the development of service peer-to-peer, etc.)
- Services and activities on reproductive and sexual health (health-saving technologies, coordinating services and HIV prevention)
Today the project’s workgroup consists of 9 people.
All the decisions we make in the meetings of our working team. The working team includes:
- 3 qualified psychologists;
- 3 professional trainers;
- 7 transgenderactivists working on peer-to-peer principle;
- 2 activists experienced in social non-profit project work
Major decisions we take at general meetings of the project working group. The meeting of the working group held 1 time per month. For us, transparency is important to our organization for all participants and therefore at every meeting “T9 NSK» project, we talk about all the news and solutions.
Value for us is also a horizontal principle of leadership: head of a project is only coordinator and the decisions are made jointly.
Any participant can join working team of the project on the condition that she\he share the values and objectives of the project.
A few of our achievements:
- Created a brochure for transgender people “T*voya zhizn (your life)” (together with project “LAVERNA”, Omsk);
- Created a database of friendly medical specialists for transgender people and conduct informational work with the doctors;
- Conducted two training seminars for psychologists out of 10 on the features of gender identity of Russia and Kazakhstan
- More than 30 meetings of support groups, rendered more than 50 psychological counseling, over 20 consultations “peer to peer”.
Services for transgender people provided by the T9 NSK project:
- free psychological consulting
- social support (we help people in difficult situations: find a job, outing problems, etc)
- support group (each 1st and 3rd Sunday of a month)
- “equal to equal” approach consulting
- coordinating service (forwarding clients to appropriate specialists)
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org