The T9 NSK service project for transgender people was launched in January 2015. However, special events held by the Transgenders.Novosibirsk project on trans* topics (watching films, psychological counseling and social support, informational seminars on gender identity, etc) have been conducted within the scope of the PULSAR-Novosibirsk LGBT project since 2009.
The situation in Russian society, such as the “gay propaganda” law, provokes a high level of transphobia, as well as the insular nature of the transgender community and lack of support for its members. The long-term goal is to create a network of transgender activist groups in different regions of Russia.
Our mission: zero discrimination of transgender people.
Our vision: development of a strong, friendly, responsible and open transgender community in Siberia and Russia, with a strong identity, mutual assistance, and active citizenship in a friendly world without discrimination.
Directions of our work:
- Advocacy work (promotion of the rights of the trans community at different levels)
- Community support (psychological assistance and support groups)
- Expanding the potential of the trans community (events and advice on trans activism, development of peer-to-peer services, etc.)
- Services and activities on reproductive and sexual health (health-saving technologies, coordinating services and HIV prevention)
The project’s working group currently consists of 9 people.
All the decisions we make in the meetings of our working group. The working group includes:
- 3 qualified psychologists;
- 3 professional trainers;
- 7 transgender activists working on peer-to-peer principles;
- 2 activists experienced in social non-profit project work.
We make our major decisions at full meetings of the working group. Meetings are held once per month. We value transparency to all participants, so at every meeting of the T9 NSK project we discuss our latest news and decisions made.
One of our values is the horizontal principle of leadership: the head of the project only acts as the coordinator, and decisions are made jointly.
Any project member can join the working group on the condition that they share the values and objectives of the project.
A few of our achievements:
- We have created a brochure for transgender people titled T*voya zhizn (Your Life) together with the LAVERNA project, Omsk.
- We have created a database of friendly medical specialists for transgender people and are gathering information on trans* friendly and unfriendly doctors.
- We have hosted two training seminars for psychologists out of 10 regions of Russia and Kazakhstan on the subject of gender identity.
- We have held over 30 meetings of support groups, over 50 psychological counseling sessions, and over 20 peer-to-peer consultations.
Services for transgender people provided by the T9 NSK project:
- free psychological consulting
- social support (we help people in difficult situations: job search, outing problems, etc.)
- support group (each 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month)
- peer-to-peer consulting
- coordination service (forwarding clients to appropriate specialists)